Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hey da Stockholm

Our last few days in Stockholm have been a whirlwind. We spent the afternoon of our second to last day on a boat cruising through the Archipelago. It is always an adventure physically getting to these activities as well. But if I do say so myself, I think we are fairing pretty well for two blonde American girls in a foreign country. In the interest of time, Mona had recommended an island to us, Fjaderholmarna, which is the closest island to the Stockholm harbor. Once we got down to the port though we realized we would rather go further out into the Archipelago to see more. We paid for a tour boat that would take us out almost as far as Vaxholm. (For those who are interested, Lauren’s research tells us that Vaxholm is the island where Tiger’s soontobe-x-wife Elin recently bought a summer home.) We spent 2 ½ hours on the water and as they promised, the weather is always better out in the Archipelago. We saw lots of beautiful summer homes that looked like dollhouses, little red cottages, and spent the afternoon wrapped in blankets with the wind in our hair. It was very relaxing and a must-see for anyone who visits Sweden. We had met 4 American backpackers the night before while we scarfed down our burgers and of course we also ran into them on the boat. Lots of the islands in the archipelago have only several houses, no commercial business, and use solar power to create electricity.

After the boat docked, we headed into the old city of Gamla Stan. It was very interesting to walk through the cobblestone streets and see the oldest and quaintest parts of Stockholm. We enjoyed a pizza, sent back a Caesar salad that reeked of anchovies, and headed back after a few hours to rest at the Kimbel Olson flat.

As became our custom, we cozied up in Mona’s kitchen and had coffee and wine while the sun set around 9-10pm. It was such a nice little tradition we developed and a surprising part of our travels we didn’t even realize we’d get to have. We’d sit around the table and talk about everything under the sun including our day, our likes and dislikes and our love for Swedish customs, and then we’d watch Stephan vacillate between being “absolutely stoked about going out tonight” and coughing with sickness admitting he “didn’t really need to do anything more today.” Well on this night, Friday, his wild side won. Lauren stayed in to rest but Steph and I headed to a local bar, Bara Vi, to see some of his friends. We sat in a funky, well decorated bar basement enjoying some drinks and then headed to a local bar with a club scene basement to prolong the night. The club in Snap’s basement was for only 23-year-old’s or beyond but the bouncer seemed to be fine with Steph and his friend’s 20-year-old identifications. (The drinking age is 18 in Sweden but many bars have a higher age limit for entrance. Often they just use that to deny certain people’s entrance and don’t really stick to it strictly otherwise.) This was like a kickball scene with worse music. Song 1: “I was I was a little bit taller, I was I was a baller… if I had a girl then I would call her….” We laughed pretty hard at the scene and then started dancing and bumping into people spilling our drinks to fit in. At one point the lady security guard approaches Stephan and says “Can you just chill out and not dance so hard? We’re getting complaints.” Hahaha. I was surprised to see a card table in the bar too but was told that was common.

The night was coming to an end and as we stood outside chatting and saying goodnight to friends we were approached by a man with a solid American accent. I think he came over when he heard us speaking English but I can’t be sure. It was probably 3am at this point. Peter was actually Swedish but had spent time living in Colorado and really was loving our US connection. He sells very expensive beds. While I talked with Stephan’s friends, Stephan spoke with Peter some more. Eventually Stephan turned to us and said, “Alright, we have to try this. He says he has a limo picking us up.” He told me later he had said to Peter, “Okay fine, I’ll go with you but only if it is a Lincoln towncar” (as if we can be picky with what kinds of limos we will get in….)

The Lincoln towncar limo pulled up and we got in. Johnny, the driver, apologized profusely for not having clean champagne glasses ready for us and started popping bottles of champy from the trunk. Peter also started apologizing in the form of a speech for the fact that “we haven’t f-ing left yet.” I think I laughed for the better part of the next hour. We spent the time cruising around Stockholm with music blaring drinking bubbly. It was pretty freakin awesome. We were stoked and every time Stephan and I made eye contact in the limo he would just mouth “WHAT THE F***?” and smile. Johnny then stopped the limo for a toast on an upper cliff of the city with an absurdly beautiful view. He even provided me with some toilet paper from the trunk to relieve myself. Who was this guy? Peter started to make a speech but Stephan interrupted it asking about a picture in front of the limo. Peter, slightly annoyed, said, “I’m trying to make a toast” to which S. replied “Sorry, its just these kinds of things don’t really happen to me so I’d really like a picture with the car.” :) We took photos while they toasted. No problemo. Johnny walked around filling up our glasses. It is extremely light at 4am at this time of year, so there was a bizarre feeling of energy flowing through all of us. (energy, alcohol, whatever…) Peter then headed off with his friends to a club on a boat, but the 23-age limit finally kept our group from entering. Like we really needed that at the time… We headed for home on the tunnelbana but S. saw the train to his gf, Julia’s, house first and SPRINTED to the train while yelling out directions for how I could get home. It was super easy and I got home quickly. Walking down the street a few blocks in the bright light was surreal. I felt on top of the world and debated funny things like calling Charlie, starting my day, and skipping the whole night of sleep altogether.

Then I got to S.’s building. Oddly the key fob to get in the building wasn’t working. Hmmm. Immediately I pictured myself sleeping on a park bench. Oh, duh! I can just use the key that will also open the door. Bingo! I’m in. Headed up the steps to the 2nd floor and realized it was not S.’s door. What??? Oh, I obviously was deep-in-thought/sleep and walked up one too many floors. Um, nope. That wasn’t it either. Okay, what is wrong with me? Back to the 2nd floor. No sign for the Kimbel Olson flat and when did those flowerpots get in the windowsill? I guess Lauren could have decorated while I was clubbing. (kidding I did NOT think that.) Okay, let’s try the elevator; this is just WEIRD. Got in the elevator, hit floor 2. The doors open right back up. The elevator all but yells at me “YOU ARE ON 2!” Okay, this is f-ed up. I’m starting over. I go outside and realize I had walked in the other entrance to his building, right next door. One door too soon. 36 and not 38. Now I laugh out loud. How stupid was that? I think to myself I can’t wait to tell them this story in the morning.

I get in to bed, stirring Lauren, and she contact-less looks at the clock and accuses me of getting home at 7:30am. “No!” I defend myself seriously, “it’s only 4:30.” Like that is so incredibly reasonable.

I’m laughing typing this.

Anyhow, I slept in and then sat with Mona and Lauren in the kitchen having coffee recalling the details of our random adventure from mid-morning. Mona was upset with S. for daring to let me travel home by myself and I think the story about my building mix-up, although funny, did not help. S. told us later how he woke up with anxiety out the ass feeling like all the women in his life were mad at him (his gf was annoyed, he had awoken her mom upon coming to her house, his own mom, and he assumed L & I). Maybe he’s a feeler : )

After we spent several hours at the spa Centralbadet, we met him for Thai for lunch. I assured him I was not upset with him and that these things and types of decisions happen when people drink into the wee hours of the morning. After all, it has created a great story for home, right? I still love you, Steph.

The spa was a different experience than in the states, it was not quiet and relaxing in that sense but more of a group outing and still really nice. We sat in the thermal pool, whirlpool, sauna, steam sauna, and the indoor heated pool. I loved swimming around and also sweating out that hangover of mine.

We spent the rest of the day at home relaxing, packing up, and sharing feelings with Mona and Stephan about how lovely this trip has been and how much we would miss each other. Mona, we are thinking about you on your upcoming journey today too. We’ll be looking forward to hearing how it goes.

For the first night in many, we agreed not to go out to club on Saturday night. We’ve got to be rested for London after all. We did watch the Eurovision Song contest with S. though. Now that was funny. Germany won, but man there were some horrible performances. Made me appreciate my American idol ;) So sad saying bye to our Swedish family (and having them and the cab driver laugh at the amount of luggle we have), but hopeful for the next time we’ll see each other. On the plane to London now… excited to help show Lauren another fantastic city. xoxo

Oh sorry for the cuss words everyone, just trying to keep the stories honest O:)

No comments:

Post a Comment