Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2010

the weather here is better than at home



i love it here. We are here safe -- although there was no shortage of adventures along the way. It took 5 minutes in the air for the first emergency to occur -- an older man passenger went into diabetic shock and was completely disoriented and getting sick on the plane. The airplane staff had to call for doctors on the plane and attend to the situation for the better part of an hour. Lauren only got up once to try and see what was going on, but we were both dying to know what the situation was. I was thankful he was okay, and that we didn't have to land to get him to a hospital.

Then we realized we were flying across the ocean in a nursery. :-!
3 crying children were a lovely (awful) soundtrack to our trip. Luckily I could sleep standing up, so I didn't have much of a problem. Especially thanks to a sleepy pill -- thanks Dad :)

Lauren, however, was not so lucky. Here she is sleeping in Copenhagen.

I also met my new Swedish boyfriend in the Copenhagen airport. Don't worry, Charlie, I think you'll find him quite adorable too. His young, blonde, pregnant mom looked like a mix between Anna Kornikova and Heidi Klum. People here are gorgeous.


Anyhow, Stephan picked us up at the airport in his Volvo (who is surprised?) and we headed into the city. We didn't really know anything about our sleeping arrangements or anything, but we trusted it would all work out. And it sure did; it is actually perfect. Stephan looks so handsome and is as sweet as he ever was. We arrived to the split apartments of him and his Mom & her husband. Stephan lent us his entire side of the loft and Mona (his mom) had freshly made bread and HOMEMADE cinnamon rolls. oh my god. heavenly. he admitted he felt pretty damn lucky to have been cooked these his whole life. i think he's right.

Since Lauren didn't get much sleep she settled into a nap after we enjoyed cinnamon buns and some of the most delicious coffee I've ever had (with rasugar cubes... mmm...) and I walked Stephan to work through a nice courtyard. I explored around a bit on my own, had a cider beer at a local bar sitting on a picnic table people watching and writing in L&i's trip journal. The 60-year old Swede next to me saw me taking "artsy" pics and asked me something in Swedish. I had no clue what he said so I confessed I only spoke english. In his broken english, he asked whether my SLR was 'deeeegitall' and was very impressed that i only arrived in sweden this morning. He wanted to ask me all about the US, including what I thought of Obama, how the economics of the US were doing, and whether Washington was "exclusive." That one I had to ask for more info. on ... to which he spat out uncertainly "expeeensive??" Ahhh, expensive. Yup.

We have such great plans in store for us and I'll keep everyone stateside
updated as we go :)

K

No comments:

Post a Comment