Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"You know what I hate? When people say all change is good. That's crap." -My professor

As my family would be delighted to tell you, I don’t really like change all that much. As long as it has taken me to admit it, I’ll agree that I resist change because it makes me feel anxious and uncomfortable to some degree. And you know what? That is totally normal. :) In fact, my Georgetown Change Management Advanced Certification program told me it was. Anyhow, I’m learning all about change in Booz’s latest venture with Georgetown University. You can learn more about that here:

So, at the risk of you thinking this is an academic write-up (it’s not) I thought I’d share some cool stuff after spending 11+hours there Monday and Tuesday. These are all pretty quick, cool things that you should look at: Did you know?
This is amazing. As an “STJ” (Myers-Briggs speak), I love data/numbers/details … so I thought this was really interesting. The world is changing faster than I can think.

And this, and only maybe a little bit :) because I was in Stockholm 2 weeks ago. How do you make people change? Here’s one idea… turn stairs into a piano.. Thefuntheory is a VW initiative. I love the concept.

I also got to have a formal dinner in the Riggs library at Georgetown. Really awesome little room with small staircases and ancient books galore. You can't really tell from the picture, but those are the floors and at the bottom is where we had dinner. Filet Mignon in there... obviously they've treated us really well. I'm excited to be part of the program. I'll graduate in November right before I turn 26!

I had an awesome professor today too (maybe the most captivating speaker I’ve ever heard) that in mocking our Booz Allen/government acronyms (he didn’t know who he was dealing with) he said we need to be more like Indiana Jones due to the shrinking ETBS. (ETBS = expected time between surprises) Haha. Our world today is, according to him, “more, better, faster” and we have to be able to predict what will come next. Shit happens, we need to deal with it and move on, so he said at least. Nice idea... in theory.

In line with More, Faster (I don’t know about better) there is Walmart. Check this out – It shows the progression of stores in the US. Insane! Also crazy to hear how Walmart deals with selling to any vendor who wants to put something on their shelf. They conduct the meetings all in Bentonville, Arkansas in a room without windows, coffee, or chairs. Sometimes they stand in there negotiating for over 6-7 hours. Wow.

Back to real work tomorrow but as much as that sounds like I've been relaxing for the past 2 days, I have been doing absolutely anything but.

K-something blonde.

No comments:

Post a Comment